Yield 2 8” pans
1 ¼ cup cake flour
¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ¼ cup granulated sugar
¼ tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
6 each egg whites, @ room temperature
¼ cup granulated sugar
4 each egg yolks
½ cup water
¾ cup vegetable oil
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour the bottom of two 8” round pans.
2. Sift the dry ingredients together twice.
3. In a large bowl, whip egg whites at medium speed. Add ¼ cup of sugar in when peaks begin to form. Whip to medium peaks.
4. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks, water, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract. Stir in dry ingredients, and mix till combined.
5. Fold in 1/3 of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
6. Then gently pour in the chocolate mixture into the remaining egg whites, and mix till combined.
7. Pour the batter into the 9” pans and bake for 30 minutes. Test with toothpick, should come out clean. Cool.
Yield 2 8” pans
3 cups heavy whipping cream
½ cup powdered sugar, sifted
2 tsp. Vanilla extract
1 each (7 oz.) dark chocolate candy bars, shaved
1. Chill a large bowl containing cream and a whisk in the freezer for 15 minutes.
2. On medium speed, whip heavy cream.
3. When soft peaks begin to form, add in sugar and vanilla.
4. Cut chocolate chiffon cake into 3 layers. Ice with whipped cream and top with chocolate shavings.
2 cups granulated sugar
3 Tbsp. Unsweetened cocoa powder
1 stick butter
2 cups water
2 tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp. Salt
6 Tbsp cornstarch
1 cup water
1. In a pot whisk together sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Stir in water and vanilla, then add butter. Bring to a boil.
2. In a cup mix together the cornstarch and 1 cup water, and WHISK in to pot and bring to a boil again for 1 minute till clear.
3. Cool, Chill in refrigerator covered.
4. Cut chocolate chiffon cake into 3 layers. Ice with glaze.